Wednesday 29 May 2019

ELDRITCH LIGHT ORCHESTRA - Seashore Variations


As some of you may know, I've been experimenting with various synthesisers lately. As I grew up in the '80s I've always been fascinated by electronic music-making. Back then, I wanted nothing more than to make moody records with synthesizers, but only got as far as having a few lessons on an electric organ. 

However as I'm turning 50 this year, it was high time I gave it go. My reasoning being that it doesn't matter if it's utter shite as no doubt any LP I would have made back circa 1982 would have been shite too! 

So then, I started this ill-fated sonic odyssey by getting hold of a midi controller - basically a clever keyboard to input notes and chords into a computer. I opted for an Arturia Keystep which not only has a lovely keyboard to play (see, I did learn something in those organ lessons) but has a sequencer and an arpeggiator built-in. Very handy! 

Now those two last features I didn't have much of clue about at first, so I started out just messing around with the virtual instruments in Ableton Live (which came with the Keystep) and seeing what chords I could remember... 

And so then, here's a little improvised piece done while testing out the keyboard/what remains of the music I learned many years ago. 



You can grab an mp3 of the tune here for free - https://www.patreon.com/posts/26825629

Enjoy!




No comments: